Tuesday 25 July 2017

Studying FCP | A Year Overview

As you know from my previous blog posts, I study Fashion Communication and Promotion at Nottingham Trent University and I have just recently completed my first year. I have to say that this was probably one of the most challenging years of my life both personally and work wise, but overall it was a pretty positive experience. 
Unlike most people, I had a pretty negative expectation of University and what it was going to be like. Maybe thats because I have a glass is half empty not half full attitude towards life (something I need to work on). But I have to say that it was the complete opposite. As cliche as it sounds, I've met some friends for life and gained a new level of independence. 

As far as my course goes, its a tough one.

Firstly, my course is completely different from what I expected, so much so that I even considered dropping out. Since I am such a creative person, I wanted to do lots of photoshoots and film making, yet that was not the case. First year was more of a foundation year, meaning that we were learning the basics of fashion communication and promotion, rather than jumping in. This makes sense that in order to do all of the creative tasks properly you need to do theory before. I always want to run before I can walk, but sometimes you need to take baby steps.

But from speaking to some second years, I have been reassured that year 2 consists of a lot more creative projects which I am definitely looking forward to.  


Even though we didn't do the things I thought we would, I am glad I stayed on the course as I have realised things about myself and my future aspirations. 


Number one is that, I am not 100% I want to enter the fashion industry after University. I don't know why, but I don't have the same enthusiasm towards it as I used to. I really wanted to do something within business and fashion, but I don't like learning the theory. Maybe because I am so scarred from studying Business for 5 years I can't bare to look at another product lifecycle or PEST analysis. 


Secondly the course has helped me to do is open my eyes to different fields that I never thought about/was interested in before. I have learned that I love editing images and graphic design a lot more than I thought I would. Also, I really enjoyed creating the advertisement for our fragrance, which is interesting as I never considered a career in this field either. Maybe these are things that I need to explore more in my spare time and document on my blog. I would love to create some short editorial films or music videos in the future. 


Overall, I am glad that I chose to study this course as I am learning so many different skills and subject content. Even though it is not what I expected, I have to say that I am more than excited for the content that we are going to learn in year 2. 


Thanks for reading. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig