Wednesday 28 December 2016

The Execution stage pt 3 | Final idea and images


After lots of brainstorming, the next stage was  to come up with an idea for the shoot. Initially we wanted to use dance as the main theme since this was the main theme for Day's shoot. We first thought of doing it outside in the dark and using street lamps as lighting. Then we would have a model doing a dance pose and we would throw coloured chalk in the background to represent vibrancy and movement. Here are some of our brainstorms from this idea:





However, we weren't really happy with that idea. But after having a chat with one of our seminar leaders we realised that we didn't have to relate our shoot to Day's exactly, we could be a lot more outside of the box. Therefore, we decided to come up with a new idea. Day's shoot was inspired by dance, however we decided we didn't want to focus on the most obvious aspect of this shoot, we wanted to explore the backstage and behind the scenes aspect.


Our final idea for the shoot was to photograph what happens behind closed doors, therefore we decided on a party set up. We thought that a party scene was perfect as we wouldn't photograph the typical parts of a party that are conventionally photographed, but we would photograph parts of parties that are hidden and not usually seen such as doing drugs and thats why we got this idea. In addition, we also wanted to keep the feminine side of the shoot so we decided we wanted to add glitter in places and arranged this into a line for some of the shots to represent drug use. I think this was effective as it represented the glamourised use of drugs and alcohol. 

On location for the shoot, we held the photoshoot in my flat. We used my kitchen and my bathroom. I thought that the kitchen was a good idea as this space is usually used to hold parties. In addition to that the space is quite dingy and dull so I thought this would be ideal. Also, I thought that the bathroom was a good idea as it is an intimate space that isn't usually photographed, which ties into our key words. 

For models, I decided to use my flat mate Jess as the main subject as she is comfortable with having photographs taken and we are really close friends. I thought that this was important since I was one of the photographers for the shoot so our relationship could translate through camera, which would emulate the style of Day's photographs.  As well as this, we wanted to create a set up which contrasts from Day's conventional style by using some male models. I thought that having one girl surrounded by men would help to portray the seediness that we wanted to capture. Finally, two of my group members Lorna and Camille acted as models in the bathroom set up.

Now that we had a clear idea, it was time to shoot! We ended up taking over 200 images! We were so happy with the outcome. Here are our favourite images that we then edited and added a green tinge so we could continue the grunge and raw theme. 


Final 3 images
Final image 1 (Shot by Camille)
Final image 2 (shot by me) 
Final image 3 (Shot by me)
Overall, I am really happy with our final outcome and I think that we really captured the essence of the editorial and Day's style of photography. Also, we received really positive feedback which was encouraging and reassuring. If I could change anything, I would have  changed Final image 3 as I think it is strong, but doesn't tie into the first two images well. As well as this, I think I would have edited the images a bit more to make sure the makeup was more prominent as this was the most important feature/product of the shoot. I can't wait to do more tasks like this in the future. 

Thanks for reading. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig