Friday 30 December 2016

R.I.P| 3 beauty trends that we should leave in 2016


2016 was the year of excessive makeup tips and new 'trends'. Being a makeup obsessed teen who spends the majority of her money on makeup, I was excited for all the new trends and products being released. However, to my disappointment, half of the trends seemed like a complete waste of time. People have become so extra to the point that they are adding features they never had and reducing their body shape through excessive makeup. 

So I decided to pick three of the trends which I hated the most. 


1|Faux Freckles
Polka dots or faux freckles?



Freckles are a beautiful thing so I'm not hating on people who were blessed with real freckles but the ones who are taking freckles to whole new levels of crazy. The problem is  that people aren't even making them look natural. In most cases it looks as though people have dropped their eyeliner pencil on their face accidentally whilst doing their makeup or look as though they intended to make themselves look as though they have polka dotted skin. In addition to this, freckles in the past have been considered 'ugly' and 'gross' by many people and critics. However now that fashion has said its fashionable to have them, everyone wants them! Ooh and did I mention that people aren't just using a natural tone of brown to create these freckles, but are creating multicoloured ones also! 

Multi-coloured freckles
Not only this, companies are selling products in order to achieve this look. Topshop has created a 'freckle pencil' which allows people to achieve this look with ease. However to me, this just looks like a brown eyeliner with freckle pencil written on it. I don't see the point to be honest. And if this doesn't top it off, a company called 'Faux Freckles' sells temporary faux freckles stencils in order to achieve a more 'natural look'. Bearing in mind these retail for £20 a sheet which to me seems like a complete waste of time and money. 
Topshop eyeliner 'Freckle Pencil'
Brand 'Faux Freckles' £20 stencil 
2|Body Contouring
Literally 10 minute abs.
With face contouring becoming such a huge trend, people have decided to try and take this further. If you can contour your face, then why can't you contour your whole body! Contouring isn't a bad technique, actually I really like being able to enhance and shadow parts of my face. However it is different when people are literally trying to take inches off of their body with makeup. People have started to contour their abs, boobs, legs arms and in some cases... FEET! Again, just like faux freckles, I think this is a complete waste of time and product! Imagine how many contour kits you would have to purchase.

Boob contouring 

Feet contouring 
3|Oily finish
Different finishes of makeup.
The third trend that I think needs to stop in 2017 is making makeup look oily on purpose. Now naturally I have oily skin, therefore I prefer to purchase makeup products with a matte finish in order to keep my oil at bay. However, despite this, I love the effect that dewy makeup has on the skin. This finish is more suitable for people with drier skin as they need the extra moisture, but anyone can pull it off the right way. 

But what some people need to understand is that there is a huge difference between a 'dewy' and 'fresh' finish, and an 'oily' and 'greasy' finish. I understand people adding oil to their foundation for moisture because throughout time that will absorb into the skin. But I do not understand why people use oil spray to 'set' their makeup. This doesn't soak into the skin, but it creates an oily film that will cause your makeup to transfer and not last as long. Also, these oil 'setting' sprays aren't cheap either! The cheapest one I found was £65.00 which is extortionate to say it is practically olive oil with a spray top. Another thing is that these sprays makes you look like you've just come out of a sauna and are sweating profusely. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact people find this look appealing to be honest.  
  • Z-22 Absolute Face Oil costs £65.

So that concludes my picks for the 3 beauty trends that shouldn't be continued in 2017. If you do any of these things and they work for you keep doing them! However I think they are an unnecessary and time wasting step to incorporate into your makeup routine. 


Thanks for reading.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig